Our park lies along the northern border of Coopers Rock State Forest. Named after a fugitive and constructed by the CCC in the 1930s, the forest contains more than 12,000 acres of recreational opportunities. Divided by I68, the northern and southern sections both contain numerous hiking trails of varying difficulty. The iconic main overlook is along the southern most edge of the forest and offers a stunning panorama of the Cheat River Gorge.
WVU Challenge Course and Zip Canopy Tour
The WVU Outdoor Challenge Facility is adjacent to Chestnut Ridge Park. The Challenge Course, with its high and low rope elements, is great for teams and groups while the Zip Canopy tours can be more individual and family oriented. The Adventure WV canopy tour is comprised of 4 ziplines, an aerial bridge, and aerial ladder and a rappel station to exit the course. Throughout the canopy tour experience, participants will learn about the University Research Forest. The canopy tour guides will provide information about the forest, what it is used for, how it’s managed and what kinds of plants and animals call it home.
This family owned local business has been operating since 1975 and now offers options in whitewater rafting, rock climbing, and paintball. Located in Albright, WV, they are located just to our south and offer great family options. To schedule a tour or for more information, please visit their website.
Offering climbing and rappelling tours at Coopers Rock State Forest for a little over a decade this climbing outfitter has options for you. They offer a variety of tours for varying skill levels. They even offer a kids camp! If you want to try rock climbing on your next vacation, give them a try. For more information visit their website and for 10% off your reservation use code "CRP2016"!
Want a more relaxed option for your vacation? Check out Padlz, for flatwater canoe and kayak rentals right down the road in Bruceton Mills, WV. Reservations are recommended, but walk-ins are welcomed, however they are subject to boat availability.
Located in Westover, WV, this is a great indoor option for those needing to bounce out any pent up energy. With sessions covering open jump, exercise classes, dodgeball matches, little lauchers for the tots, and sensitive hours for special needs individuals, they have something for the whole family, please see their website for additional details.
Snake Hill Wildlife Management Area
Snake Hill Wildlife Management Area contains 3,092 acres, most of which is on the western side of the Cheat River in Monongalia and Preston Counties. SHWMA can be seen from the main overlook at Coopers Rock State Forest and it too provides opportunities for hiking, cross-country skiing, hunting, fishing, trapping, bird-watching, and geocaching. Click here for additional information about skiing this WMA and here for information regarding all WMAs in our region.
Begun as only a dream in 2000, the WVBG is on its way to becoming a reality on the 82-acre former Tibbs Run Reservoir property off the Tyrone Road in Monongalia County, WV. With beautiful gardens, local outdoor artwork, a boardwalk, and easy walking trail, the garden is a wonderfull place to relax. If you need more to occupy your time, keep an eye on their event calendar for informitive workshops and hikes throughout the year!
BLUE MOOSE CAFE
- A Morgantown coffeehouse and cafe with a fun cultural vibe, which hosts art exhibits, readings, open mikes and live music. For a listing of their events and more details about their cultural and edible options, visit their website: http://www.thebluemoosecafe.com/homepage.htm
- Address: 248 Walnut Street, Morgantown, WV 26505
- A Morgantown bakery with fresh scones, coffee, and breads daily with pizzas for lunch and dinner options. Closed Mondays and Tuesdays. Check out their Facebook page for their most recent updates as their baked offerings change daily: https://www.facebook.com/Phoenix-Bakery-879600528779002/
- Address: 89 Kingwood St, Morgantown, WV 26501
- A Morgantown coffeeshop with the tagline "A beacon of coffee hope." They serve fresh coffee, breakfast and lunch options everyday. For a listing of their offerings check out their website: http://abeaconofcoffeehope.com/
- Address: 168 Willey St., Morgantown, WV 26505